Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Getting started - Mississippi Burning

Hello everybody! This blog is devoted to a very broad topic, namely the American South. I decided to blog about the American South, also known as Dixie, because apart from my general interest in the whole United States, this region is especially interesting to me. Here, I wish to write about the geography, cuisine, history and language of the South. In addition, I would like to present some movies, music and books which bring up the topic of the American South. Let's get started, then!


In the first post I would like to share with you, one of my favorite movies, which is "Mississippi Burning". The movie brings up the disgraceful issue of slavery and racism, which had its germ down there in the South. It tells the story of two FBI agents carrying out investigation into mysterious and cruel murdery of some of human rights' activists. Great performance by Gene Hackman and one of my favorite actresses ever - Frances McDormand. Truly recommend the movie and as a preview you can watch the trailer below ;-)


2 comments:

  1. That's a very unique choice of topic, I must say. Could you say how you have become interested in these issues?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the USA have been my dream for a very long time, and it has only gotten stronger when I started my English studies. Then I gradually became interested in phonetics and phonology of American English and one of the dialects that got me really interested was Southern American English. I think it was the most important reason for which I have become interested in the South but not the only one, the others being the incredibly interesting history of the region, excellent cuisine and music.

    ReplyDelete